Metrie’s Poplar mill in Lexington, Kentucky is a state-of-the art, 150,000 sq. ft. facility employing the latest technologies and practices, including operating our own dry kilns to ensure a consistent and stable product. Because we have long-term suppliers within a 150 mile radius of our mill, we are able to combine low inbound freight costs with a proprietary grade of lumber, specific to our finished products.
BENEFITS OF POPLAR
Superior paint and stain ability
Eastern North American Poplar is an extremely versatile wood, and is perfectly suited to accept paint or stain.
Because the wood is pitch and resin free, there is no bleeding or blotching through the finished surface.
Extremely smooth surface
Poplar is known as “the painter’s wood” because it sands to an extremely smooth surface and is the preferred paint grade species by upscale builders.
Metrie™ produces the following:
- Finger jointed and solid interior mouldings, jambs and boards, available unprimed or with single or double primed with a profile sanded finish
- Finger jointed and solid moulder blanks
- Handrails and laminated products (available in Poplar, Oak and Maple)
- Shutter components
- Kiln dried lumber
- Bagged shavings
- FSC certified products
- Our complete line of Poplar products includes hundreds of moulding profiles from which to choose. We also have the ability to custom manufacture to our customer’s exact specifications.
- Poplar mouldings are run through high-speed Weinig moulders (with tolerances well above industry norm). They are ready for paint and installation.
- Metrie™ Kentucky also manufactures high-quality S4S boards, moulded on all four sides, in a variety of lengths and sizes.
INDUSTRY LEADING STANDARDS
Metrie™ is an industry leader in quality and production standards and we provide our customers with a superior product. This enables them to sell at premium prices, which results in higher sales and higher margins.
- Located close to a Poplar dense forest, most of the mill’s lumber comes from a 150-mile radius. Having low freight costs on raw material, and the ability to buy a proprietary grade specific to the manufacturing of mouldings, provides a significant competitive advantage.
- Ability to match existing, or create new custom profiles.
- AutoCad generated templates mean the height, depth, and face of the profile we manufacture remains true to the original design, ensuring quality and consistency.
- State-of-the-art Weinig moulders- the industry leader. Our tolerances are well above the industry norm at +/- .2mm, and quality checks are performed every 3000 lf to give our customers piece of mind.
Metrie’s Poplar products lend a timeless aesthetic and broad versatility to any project.